Royal Wedding Celebration
The young people who attend Caxton Youth Club wanted to organise a party to celebrate the Royal Wedding with their local community.
Caxton Youth Club in Westminster is a specialist service that supports young people with a range of disabilities. The young people wanted to organise a party to celebrate the Royal Wedding with their local community. Working closely with their youth worker Rose, they were supported to arrange the catering, themed decorations and even wrote a song with their music teacher. They also designed and sent out invitations to other local community groups.
On the day the young people enjoyed playing games, meeting new people, listening to music and hanging out with their friends.
One young person said “It was fun and I would like to do it again. We could invite the Royal family to make it better”
- The programme offered leadership opportunities to 6 young people with complex needs and communication difficulties.
- Zeina took the role of creating a survey to find out whether youth club members would be interested in attending the event. This was a massive step for her towards gaining confidence and independence.
- Helped increase the confidence of a young person who often tends to shy away from leadership opportunites. She has since then gone on to nominate herself for the ‘young rep’ at the youth club.
- It provided an opportunity for the young people to work together on a project.
- The young people helped to plan and deliver an event for the local community for the first time.
Discover more successful community projects young people have developed.
PBUK Cultural Awareness Event
Four young people put on arts and food event to raise awareness of cultural diversity and understanding
Rosendale Christmas Party
Young people from Rosendale organised a Christmas Fete
Become a Young Leader or Young Ambassador
Are you aged 11-25 and living in London? Want to run activities for other young people in your area? Want to support your friends and community and make a positive difference? Contact us today and you could secure up to £500 funding to make your idea a reality.
About the Project
Peabody is funding 11-25 year olds to develop their own projects, trips and events for other young people in their local area.